Website Norfolk Botanical Garden
Position: Director of Grounds and Integrated Pest Management
Description: This is a full-time position that supervises and performs all aspects of grounds maintenance and
Essential Functions: Substantial knowledge of principles, materials, and methods of grounds maintenance, turf
management, equipment repair, workplace safety, landscaping, horticulture, storm water management, and Integrated
Pest Management are required. Ability to plan, organize, supervise, and inspect the work of others and to establish
priorities are required.
Essential Physical Functions:Has the ability to work outside for 8 hours in heat, cold or light rain and can continuously walk, stand, bend, twist and/or stoop.
Has the ability to push, pull and/or lift 50 pounds during working hours.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree from a four-year accredited college or an associate’s degree preferred
with a concentration in horticulture or grounds management and a minimum four years’ experience in horticulture or
Requires at least two years supervisory experience. Requires well developed written and oral
Requires a strong understanding of turf science, Integrated Pest Management, irrigation
technology, familiarity with the turf grasses of warm temperate regions, and a solid background of professional
The individual should be a highly motivated self-starter with the ability to view a landscape, assess its visual
qualities, and make corrections or improvements where necessary.
Should have experience with Windows based programs, and have the ability to create and manage spread sheets. Must be organized and able to follow verbal and written instructions.
Must have or obtain a Virginia Certified Commercial Applicators pesticide license within 3 months
Must have or obtain a valid Virginia driver’s license.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
1. Coordinates daily operations and special projects with the Director of Horticulture, Curators, Grounds and
2. Leads the hiring, evaluation, and coaching of Grounds staff, and identifies training and educational opportunities
for staff improvement.
3. Supervises the maintenance of the Garden’s turf areas through sod installation, seeding, mowing, trimming,
edging, blowing, fertilizing, irrigation, herbicide application, and pest control.
4. Manages the Garden’s IPM program to include scouting for insects and diseases, treating and/or advising
treatment, maintaining pesticide inventory, keeping all application records, and keeping abreast of all state
5. Supervises the maintenance, upgrades, and installation of irrigation systems and wells, drainage systems, and
water feature care. Is the Garden’s lead when dealing with outside well and irrigation contractors.
6. Supervises the safe utilization, care, usage training, and maintenance of the Grounds Dept.’s tools and
machinery, including key pieces of the Garden’s restricted use equipment.
7. Supervises the maintenance and vegetation control of the Garden’s lakes, streams, and ponds.
8. Supervises road and parking lot clearing to include leaf, debris, standing water, and snow removal.
9. Assists with landscape bed preparation and installation.
10. Assists with tree removal and disposal.
11. Assists with the Garden’s dump area management and compost facility.
12. Assists with the development of the annual budget.
13. Participates in Garden-wide events as needed, and performs other duties as assigned.
• Health insurance including an HSA or copay option (NBG pays 70% of individual premium and 65% of
• 403(b) retirement plan with discretionary 4% match• Company sponsored life-insurance coverage.
• Group rates on voluntary benefits such as dental, supplemental medical expense insurance, vision, STD, accident.
• Paid vacation, sick leave and holidays.
• Professional development opportunities.
• Staff discounts on programming, gift shop & café.
• NBG logo wear for work provided.
• EAP services for all employees.
Reports to: Director of Horticulture
Equal Employer Opportunity (EEO) statement: NBG is committed to the principles and ideals of equal employment
opportunity. It is, and shall continue to be, the policy and practice throughout NBG to foster equal employment
opportunity and non-discrimination for applicants, employees, and volunteers without regard to race, color, sex,
religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected
status, if qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com